Friday, September 5, 2014

A Fresh Beginning

A few months ago, while cooking a pork loin with a grape white wine reduction, I had a sudden epiphany: I want to do this for a living. I was cooking dinner for my roommate and a friend, and I just zoned in on cooking. Nothing else mattered. Just me, the food, and the kitchen. Moving from counter to pot to fridge and back, I felt comfortable and oddly satisfied for the first time in, well, a long time. The fluid movements my body makes while I'm cooking gives me a feeling I couldn't possibly put into words. It almost feels like home. I always knew that I enjoyed cooking. I'd even say I always knew that I loved cooking, but on this particular day, I finally realized just how much it meant to me.

I started baking a lot again, and cooking every chance I had. I started eating at new restaurants instead of the same bland places I'd gone to for so long. And, finally, I started looking into cooking school. Living in the Hudson Valley gives me the wonderful advantage of having the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park so close. Unfortunately, it's a pretty steep tuition, and they require six months of restaurant experience prior to enrollment. So I've enrolled in the local Boces program in a chef essentials course. Hopefully, this will get my foot in the door to the experience necessary for the Culinary Institute.

I'm always trying new recipes, and adding my own ideas to them. And I'm always criticizing every meal I have out, so I think it's time I put the pen to paper (or, I guess, my fingers to the keys), and share it with the world. I can't promise daily updates, or maybe not even weekly updates, but be sure to check back frequently. I do have some tasty recipes in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment